The Journal, P.O. Box 950, Sturbridge, MA 01566
or after, open or closed ó the photos of this monthís
"Guess What" are extremely sharp in detail. Working
the handles like a pliers enabled the inner series of ridges and
spikes (not visible) to protrude or recede as manipulated.
Well-made of nickel on brass, this piece was made in France ó
which has nothing to do with its function or application. We
will tell you itís a household item, and the room in which itís
used is a partial clue. Size: 4" long by 1Ĺ"
assigned our trusted "Committee for Consumer
Standards" the task of coming up with possible alternative
suggestions. Here are their findings:
1) Kielbasa sausage link tie-off marker
2) Teething ring for a baby piranha
3) Ankle bracelet for masochists
4) Plumberís pipe cutting working gauge
5) Herpetologists snake venom milking de-vice
6) Rind-piercing kitchen tool for easy tangerine peeling
7) Instant injection pattern marker for mass production tat-tooing
8) Garden hose sprinkler effect puncture tool
9) Onion juicer and segment perforator
10) Callous softener and tenderizer
11) Asparagus stalk cut-off gauge
12) Condom burst stress tester
13) Carrot scraper
14) Sesame seed harvester
15) Celery stalk de-stringer
16) Bull nose-ring installation pincers
17) Cigar cutter.
razzle dazzle for one session? Work hard at it ó and your
efforts will be rewarded next month with the answer. Till then.
to the inexhaustible Mike Goodman, collector, Massachusetts.
to February's Guess What..?
it comes to mumbling and talking distinctly, it helps to have a set of
teeth to form the various sound combinations. Without them, in the
previous centuries, you found yourself helpless. In the case of food for
the elderly (or the infant), there
fortunately was a remedy: a masticator (see photo). This device was used
to break up and pulverize for consumption ó foods that were too
difficult to digest by the tender gums of the baby or the toothless gums
of the geriatric. Using a scissor-like action, one would be able to
prepare food for either circumstance.*
*available for acquisition